It has been such a delight to go out to the garden with the kids a couple of times each week and see what we have to pick. Looking forward to some onions and carrots soon.
Wednesday, June 22, 2011
How did I miss this?
Even though this is the 18th day of consecutive 100+degree days here in Austin, our garden seems to be thriving in the midst of it. I am not watering it more than the rest of the yard...still just three times a week. Everything is doing good, except for the peas...I think it got a little too hot and they are the farthest thing in the garden from the sprinkler. Some things are growing well....just nothing to eat off them yet. Our strawberry plant has picked up in the last few weeks. I also have more squash than I know what to do with. They are amazingly fast growers, which is how I missed this one....
I can check the garden on a Friday and see a tiny squash growing and by the end of the weekend, it will be about 6-7in long. I can see the yellow squash pretty well, but I keep missing the green squash; I think it blends in more with the soil. So, this green squash measured 15in long! It will probably not taste great...I heard it is ideal to pick them when they are smaller. I am not a big squash fan (well, to be honest, most vegetables), but I have figured out how to use them in cooking where I can actually eat them. They are great grilled and tossed on our homemade pizza. Just yesterday, I found a recipe for sweet fried summer squash and it was yummy.
It has been such a delight to go out to the garden with the kids a couple of times each week and see what we have to pick. Looking forward to some onions and carrots soon.
It has been such a delight to go out to the garden with the kids a couple of times each week and see what we have to pick. Looking forward to some onions and carrots soon.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment