Sunday, October 25, 2009

Backyard Updates

We just finished eating the last of our carrot "crop" this year in our garden. I am very pleased with how the carrots turned out. We are still harvesting jalepenos for our homemade salsa and bell peppers. Although, I am disappointed our bell peppers have mostly been dark purple, light green and dark green. I was not brave enough to try them...I was hoping for the sweeter variety - yellows, reds or oranges. I have also used a little of our green onions, but got uninspired to figure out how to use the rest of them. We also used thyme and rosemary for some yummy soups. And, our tomatoes just these past few weeks decided to arrive, but not sure they will actually ripen and turn red. I think my garden does not realize it is late October...
We added a sandbox to the bottom of the playscape. The kids favorite thing to do it in this fall has been to dig for hidden seashells and build ponds in the sand for plastic ducks. We finally opened a fire pit we received as a Christmas gift last year and set it up over the weekend. I think we were waiting to use it until we extended our backporch. But, just putting it out in the yard worked just fine...the grass was a little toasty underneath...but not too bad. We sat around it with my sister and brother-in-law and their kids who have just moved to Austin from Dallas and my mom and step-dad who were visiting. We roasted marshmellows and made Smores. It was a very fun, cozy and yummy time.

2 comments:

cheryl said...

I really can't believe it lasted so long...I'm convinced it was the "extra" watering. ;o)
So much fun.

The Rowland Crew said...

I just saw this and your last post with your exciting news, and I told Randy who is sitting next to me. His response, "cool!". Congratulations on number 3 on the way. We love having three children - we felt it completed our family. Of course number 3 may not complete your family - could be #4 or more that does that for you. :) We hope this pregnancy goes smoothly for you, and we wish you all the best!